Max has been practicing injury law since 1996. He has resolved hundreds of claims from road accidents, slip and trip accidents, aircraft crashes, and other traumatic events. He routinely acts for people with serious and permanent injuries. Most of his cases are against institutional defendants, including ICBC and other insurance companies. He spent six years providing legal services to ICBC. That gave him an insider’s knowledge of how insurance companies defend claims. During that time he also acted as an arbitrator, ruling on liability assessments by ICBC adjusters.
Max’s legal assistant Heather administers his practice with efficiency and professionalism. They have been working together since 2005.
Before turning to law, Max spent six years as an engineering technologist. He planned oil exploration and drilling projects throughout western Canada. He practiced law in Prince George for six years before moving to Victoria in 2002.
- University of Western Ontario – LL.B. 1995.
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology – Post-Graduate Diploma (Honours) in Energy Management Technology, 1987.
- British Columbia Institute of Technology – Diploma in Oil and Gas Technology, 1984.
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia – Former Governor (3 terms); former Executive member (2 terms).
- Cariboo Bar Association – former President (one term).
- Prince George Bar Association – former Treasurer (two terms).
- Law Society of British Columbia – member.
- Canadian Bar Association – member.
- Victoria Bar Association – member.
- Phi Delta Phi – member.
- Malcom J. McKinnon Award (UWO, 1993), for supporting and assisting fellow law students.
- President’s Scholarship (UVic, 1992).
- Alberta Certificate of Merit (SAIT, 1987), for finishing first in his class.
- Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition – life member and occasional contributor to Cycle Therapy quarterly journal – “The Legal Perspective” column.
- BMW Riders of Vancouver Island – member.
- Foster Parents Plan of Canada and Chalice Canada – sponsorship of underprivileged children overseas for more than 30 years.
- Canadian Blood Services – regular donor with over 125 blood donations to date.
- Mensa Canada Society – member.
- Strata Council – various terms as President, Vice President and Executive member.
- CRD Parks – former Park Warden for three years, with year-round weekly trail patrols at Mount Work Park.